Architecture

Lev Vlodek is one of the authors of the look of Odessa

In the nineteenth century it was practiced to send students-architects after graduation to various cities for practice and work. Thus, Lev Vlodek came to Odessa, literally creating the familiar look of this seaside city.

Odessa was lucky with the architects who came here in the XVIII and XIX centuries, attracted by new opportunities and actively developing urban environment. Then one of the brightest and famous Odessa buildings appeared here. They are symbols of the city today.
                                 Lev Wlodek

Hotel “Bolshaya Moskovskaya” (here and below – architect L. Vlodek)

College of Merchant Shipping

Lev Vlodek (or Odessa) was lucky – he was sent to Odessa to distribute students from the St. Petersburg Construction School. Lev came there as a seventeen-year-old boy, coming from his native city of Zhitomir.
When the young architect arrived at his new place of work, he saw that in fact the Odessa Construction Committee was going through not the best time. But this did not bother Vlodek at all. In 1864 he became a member of the Society of Engineers and Architects, and immediately occupied the post of assistant to the city architect Nimetz.

House on 79 Novoselskogo Street

Already at that time Lev Lvovich had a lot of ideas, ready plans and drawings of houses. Wlodek was a versatile person and always used in practice the knowledge gained in different fields of activity. For example, he had experience managing concrete plants, which in the future contributed to the emergence of projects with fairly innovative solutions by the standards of that time.

He used concrete and reinforced structures for the foundation of the hotel “Bolshaya Moskovskaya”, “Passage”, the Roman Catholic Cathedral. The most grandiose project was the House with the Atlanteans, or, in other words, the House of Falz-Fein.

In 1915 he became the chief architect of the city.
Passage Hotel

Among the contours of Wlodek, there is also an industrial architecture. According to his project, the Richelieu depot of the steam tram, the pumping station of the city water supply and the storage facilities were built.
Complex of the Odessa All-Russian Exhibition

Returning from the construction of industrial facilities to residential buildings, he chose for himself the direction of economy and durability. Specifically, this was reflected in the children’s shelter in the Princely, 4, the rescue station in Lustdorf, the church of St. Adrian and Natalia on the French Boulevard.
Complex of the Odessa All-Russian Exhibition

Architect Vlodek constantly changed and transformed his architectural style. He could use an unpolished brick and lush decor, with time he liked the use of smalt, forging, molding, gradually adopting the principles of modernity and turning buildings into sculptures.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *